When the temperature of a computer system rises, the fan runs faster to allow efficient airflow. When this happens in a quiet room, you might hear some noise. It is a normal rushing process for cooling the system environment.
But if you hear the Mac fan running at full speed even when you are not doing any intensive task, you need a tool to control it. One such tool is – “smcFanControl.” SMC Fan Control apps allow you to set up the minimum speed for built-in fans.
What is SMC Fan Control?
SMC Fan Control is an application that allows Mac users to control the fan’s speed of every Intel Mac. You can increase or decrease the speed of the fan to optimize your Mac computer. Its specifications are as under:
Size: 1.5 MB
Is SMC Fan Control Safe?
SMC Fan Control lets you control the fan’s speed so that you can troubleshoot many issues caused due to fan’s hindered working. But you must know that Mac automatically adjusts the fan’s speed for the best optimization.
Therefore intervening on your own is not recommended from our end. SMC Fan Control doesn’t let you set minimum speed to a value of Apple’s defaults so that it doesn’t cause damage to your machine.
Also Read: Best Snipping Tools for Mac
What is the best fan control for Mac?
If you are looking for the best fan control for Mac, we are here for you. SMC Fan Control is one of the best fan control tools for Mac. Later we will also discuss some other best alternatives of SMC Fan Control. But before that, let’s get to know how to use SMC Fan Control.
How to use SMC fan control?
Follow the step by step guide as given below to use SMC Fan Control for Mac.
- At first, download the SMC Fan Control app for Mac from the site – https://smcfancontrol.en.softonic.com/mac
- Tap the button Download, and the application will start downloading.
- Install the application and launch it.
- Now tap the Custom button to adjust the fan’s speed manually. It is based on a constant RPM value or sensor-based temperature value.
- You can choose Auto to get back to default settings.
- From the menu bar of the application, you can see the current temperature and fan’s speed.
SMC fan control not working on Mac
Apple often leaves its fans off as long as possible. But when you perform an intensive task, it may cause damage to your machine. Hence users prefer to use SMC Fan Control to kick up the fans before it could create any damage.
But after the latest macOS High Sierra update, users have faced the issue of the SMC Fan Control app, not working. If you also face the same problem, go through the steps below.
- Turn off the Mac system.
- Now hold down Shift + Control + Option and the Power button for 5 seconds.
- Your Mac charger will change color.
- Login again into your system, and it could have fixed SMC Fan Control.
SMC fan control alternatives for Mac
Its high time we start having a look at some best alternatives of SMC Fan Control for Mac.
#1. Fan Control
Fan Control is a fan speed manager for Mac users. It allows the monitoring of the performance of Mac OS X. It’s free and hassle-free and allows instant access to the voltage used by Mac’s fan.
- Automatic fab speed feature.
- Manual fan speed.
- Base speed.
- Lower threshold.
- Upper threshold.
#2. Macs Fan Control
Macs Fan Control is a fan control app for MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Mini and Mac Pro, etc. It resolves issues like noise and overheating problems. Let’s get to know its key features.
- It has a comprehensive mechanism to control the speed of the fan.
- Fan controlling management.
- Real-time monitoring and reporting.
- Display of tray icon.
- It is compatible with Windows systems as well.
- It is available in more than 30 regional languages.
#3. TG Pro
TG Pro is a tuner for macOS X, which provides an in-depth analysis of the Mac system. This application provides users with an opportunity to get a peek into their Mac OS.
- It allows you to monitor current and maximum recorded temperature and speed.
- Manual control system.
- Auto-boot system.
- Monitoring of remote servers.
- Built-in diagnostic system.
- Save log reports as a CSV file.
SpeedFan is a monitor program for the Windows system and allows you to read temperatures, fan speeds, and voltages. The nest part about this tool is that it also operates for checking hard disk temperatures.
- It allows digital access over system hardware.
- It automatically with digital sensors of the system.
- The users can also set the parameter for low and high fan speed.
- You can maintain the proper health of the hard disk via this application.
#5. Argus Monitor
Argus Monitor lets the users monitor and analyzes the temperature and health status of computer hardware. Its advanced features are not only hardware-specific.
- Hard disk temperatures monitoring.
- It has a warning system in case of an emergency.
- Graphical display of reports related to system health.
- It is a multipurpose and multifunctional tool.
- Best monitoring setting performance.
Our guide to using SMC Fan Control will help you get the best out of it. We have tried to cover all the vital aspects of this tool. Some top alternatives of SMC Fan Control are available along with their key features.
Go through each stepwise guide carefully to understand the working of the SMC Fan Control app. You can have some other options by going through the alternatives mentioned.