As your iTunes Library grows, you will find songs, video duplicates cropping up. This not only makes searching for the right song harder but also takes up additional space. However, finding and removing these duplicates is an easy task. Here is a guide to Remove Duplicates From iTunes.
Sometimes iTunes ends up with several copies of the exact song, or even two copies of a full album. If you’re running latest iTunes 12 then you must not be worrying though but if you’re on any prior iTunes version then it’s possible to remove duplicate files on Mac.
These duplicates are also rather difficult to locate manually on iPhone, most especially once you download many versions of songs from other sources. Another way to remove duplicates is by using iTunes, but this is going to be a tedious procedure. There are lots of duplicates finder apps developed by third-party businesses support scanning duplicate songs and albums in the iTunes library and allow you to delete these duplicates in a few clicks.
Remove Duplicates From iTunes – Complete Guide
There is a simple and easy method to find and remove photo duplicates automatically. Duplicate songs are most likely littering your library, taking up space and at times producing your library confusing. Duplicate files are usually waste and unnecessary. Duplicate Files may be one of the main reasons your Mac is taking too much time to open files and games. Duplicate files of all sorts can be an issue, particularly if you’re running low on disk space. Check how you can find and Remove Duplicates From iTunes in 2019.
Also Read: How To Remove Mackeeper From Mac
How to show all songs duplicates in iTunes
- First, launch iTunes on your system- PC or Mac.
- Then click the drop-down menu, which is near the top left corner of the screen and chooses the Music option from the list.
- After that choose Songs from the options under the Music selection to see a list of the songs in your iTunes library.
- Select View on the menu bar.
- From there, select Show Duplicate Items.
- Now you will be displayed everything in your library that iTunes thinks are duplicate tracks.
- Now you can hold down Command and keep clicking on titles (this is control for PC users) to select the ones you would like to remove and just drag them to the Trash.
- Alternatively, you can click any song and then press the “Delete” key. You will get a dialog box asking you to confirm if you want to delete the duplicate.
- You can simply click the “Remove” button which will remove the song from the songs listing from iTunes. You will get a second dialog box which will ask you if you want to move song file to the Trash or keep it in the iTunes Music folder on your hard drive.
Now your song duplicates are removed and deleted.
If you want to do the same with duplicate videos, just select “Movies” in the “Library” section of the left menu. Then repeat these steps to delete duplicate videos.
You should know that sometimes iTunes can confuse slight variations and different mixes that come on different albums as duplicates. So it is up to you to make sure to double-check the song you are removing and deleting is actually a duplicate and not a remix or another version from a different album.
In case you face this, there is a method you can use to find out exact duplicates in iTunes and then remove them :
How to see only exact song duplicates in iTunes
- First, you have to launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Then just hold down the Alt – Option keys on your Mac or the Shift key for Windows users and now select View in the top navigation.
- As you are holding down the Alt – Option or Shift key, you will see the duplicates option has now become Show Exact Duplicate Items. Now click on it while still holding down the keys.
- Now you will see iTunes displaying only exact matches. Here you can pick out the duplicates easier.
How to prevent duplicates from appearing in the future
- At first, you need to launch iTunes and click the “Edit” menu. Then select “Preferences.” and go to “Advanced.”
- Next, you need to select “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized” “Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library”. You can do this by clicking the boxes on the sides so that there is a checkmark there.
- After that, you have to Click “OK” to save your selections and then close the Preferences window. iTunes will not longer add duplicate files to its music folders on your hard drive. In fact, from now on you will be shown your exact required song in your iTunes Library.
Remove Duplicates From iTunes Using Apps
There are many 3rd party apps that you can use to find and Remove Duplicates From iTunes. These apps are free to use. Here is one of them.
- First, you have to open Tune sweeper on your PC or Mac. Then from the menu bar on the top of the interface, you have to click Duplicates.
- Then you need to click on ‘Search for Duplicates’, and this will start a searching process. When it is done, the duplicate items will be shown on the results window.
- Now click on Remove Duplicates, and there will be no duplicate songs on your system.
Duplicates in the iTunes library make it hard for you to search the song or video you want to see by opening up several other similar files. After deleting or removing the duplicate files from iTunes, you will not only find your files easily but also have a lot of retrieved space. Here’s hoping this guide helped you remove duplicates from iTunes.